Sharing the love of food and trying new recipes...

Monday, December 23, 2013

Swedish gingerbread (mjuk pepparkaka)

a slice of gingerbread served with whipped cream and lingonberry jam

the whole gingerbread with Swedish Jultomtar

Around this time of the year, gingerbread is a popular treat in many countries, especially in Northern Europe. In Sweden, I discovered a soft gingerbread cake that the bakery in Ljunghusen makes and I love it. I would have it every time I'd go to Sweden! Then this month with all the holiday and pre-Christmas dinners around, I decided to try and make it myself and share it with my friends.

I mixed and adapted several recipes to finally have one that I found equally soft and moist as the one I bought in the baker shop and made it spicy enough to have a strong taste of Holidays :-) The cake is really easy to make: it takes approximately 10 min to mix ingredients, and then 30 min to bake in the oven: very straightforward and a great cake for December to share with family and friends!

Recipe for a mjuk pepparkaka / gingerbread:

2 eggs
2 dl sugar
2.5 tsp cloves
2.5 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp ginger
1 tsp baking soda
3 dl flour
100 g butter
1.5 dl sour cream / yoghurt


Whip up eggs and sugar until almost white. In a separate bowl mix all the dry ingredients. Melt the butter, let it cool down and then add the sour cream/yoghurt to it. Add dry ingredients + dairy to the egg-sugar mix and mix only until uniform (don't overdo it). Transfer the dough to a buttered and floured Bundt cake form. Bake in the oven 27-30 min at 175 C.
Serve with whipped cream and lingonberries (or lingonberry jam). Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment